How To Anchor A Flat Panel TV Monitor
To A Brick,
Masonry or Concrete
by Bob Carlisle, President of Concrete Fasteners and Tawny Sikon
Mounting a flat screen television over a fireplace has become quite popular. However, certain precautions must be considered to ensure that the TV doesn't get damaged by the heat. Before installation, experiment with thermometers to make sure that the temperatures generated by the fireplace during normal use are within the heat guidelines in the user manual. Anchoring a flat TV above a fireplace is usually harmless with the appropriate distance and proper ventilation.
Before You Get Started
Once you have determined that the TV can be safety installed above the fireplace, the proper mount should be chosen. Wall mounts come in many sizes and styles specific to the type of display. Screen height as well as electronic specifications must also be considered. This article is targeted for DIYers with knowledge of electronics, if unsure of code violations, please contact a professional electrician.
- Safety Goggles
- Hammer Drill
- Standard Drill
- Drill Bit
- Shop-Vac or Wire Brush
When anchoring into brick, it is sometimes necessary to anchor to the mortar joint, depending on where the holes in the bracket line-up. Mortar can be an excellent base material to improve holding values but will depend on the quality and quantity of the mortar in the joint. Anchoring into brick only will also work in some applications.
Once you have determined the type, size and number of concrete fasteners needed, you can proceed with installation.
Step by Step Instructions
Helpful Hint: Make sure the diameter of the anchor used will fit correctly through the holes in the bracket/wall mount. If not, you may have to slightly enlarge the hole in the bracket.
Concrete Sleeve Anchors can be installed in a few steps. Basic instructions follow:
- Cut-out and install the wall-boxes that you will use for cabling.
- Using a level, determine the desired height of the display. Next, attach the mount to the brick fireplace.
- Using a hammer drill, drill a hole (the same diameter as the anchor diameter) using a carbide-tipped masonry bit.
- Clear the hole of all debris using compressed air, a shop-vac or wire brush
- Insert the Sleeve Anchor into the hole and make sure it is secure and positioned correctly. Continue to insert each anchor into the correct bracket.
- Position the mount in the desired position. Tighten all nuts to ensure the mount is secure.
- Carefully hang the flat screen to the mount (ask for another's help if necessary), making sure to check that any safety tabs are in place for extra security.
Tech Tip: Watch your hole sizing! 1/4" diameter Tapcons use a 3/16" bit and 3/16" diameter Tapcons use a 5/32" bit.
The installation of a Tapcon® Concrete Screw is also straightforward:
- Cut-out and install the wall-boxes that will be used for cabling.
- Attaching the mount to the brick fireplace is the next step. Using a level, determine the desired height of the display before attempting to install the wall mount.
- Using a hammer drill, drill holes using the correct diameter carbide-tipped masonry bit for the concrete screw diameter in use.
- Clear the hole of debris.
- Position the mount in the exact position. Drive the screw into the hole with a standard drill and continue until all brackets are firmly in place.
- Carefully hang the flat screen television to the mount, checking to ensure that safety tabs are in place for extra holding.
A final note...
As with any home improvement or anchoring project, it is important to keep safety in mind and follow instructions carefully. Always remember to wear safety goggles, handle all tools with extra care, and follow all technical and electronic specifications. This article is meant to serve as a basic overview of the steps to complete this project. Always refer to the manufacturer's instructions or consult a contracting expert. With a little research, planning and patience you are now ready to sit back, relax and enjoy your new flat screen TV for years to come!
Concrete Fasteners, Inc. has over 40 years experience selling concrete fasteners. They ship to all 50 states and many countries. They can ship out one box or a whole pallet of concrete anchors. All products are of the highest quality, "your satisfaction is guaranteed." All orders are shipped the same day the order is received.